Diocese page | Bishops list | Sources list | Location list | Source essay | Map | Bibliography | Diocesan history/Analysis | Links | CCED History | Jurisdiction list |

Asterisked works are those with a wider remit which none the less have important material on the development of this particular diocese

  • Best, G. F. A. (1964), Temporal Pillars. Queen Anne’s Bounty, the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, and the Church of England (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press).
  • Austin, M. R., ed. (1974), The Church in Derbyshire in 1823–4: the parochial visitation of the Rev. Samuel Butler, archdeacon of Derby, in the diocese of Lichfield and Coventry (Derby: Derbys. Archaeol. Record ser., 5).
  • Austin, M. R. (1975 for 1972), Queen Anne’s Bounty and the poor livings in Derbyshire, 1772–1832, Derbyshire Archaeological Journal, 92, 78–89.
  • Austin, M. R. (1975 for 1973), Religion and society in Derbyshire during the industrial revolution, Derbyshire Archaeological Journal, 93, 75–89.
  • Austin, M. R. (1980), Enclosure and benefice incomes in Derbyshire 1772–1832, Derbyshire Archaeological Journal, 100, 88–94.
  • Austin, M. R. (1982), Tithe and benefice incomes in Derbyshire, Derbyshire Archaeological Journal, 102, 118–24.
  • Austin, M. [R.] (2001), A Stage or Two beyond Christendom: A Social History of the Church of England in Derbyshire (Cromford: Scarthin Books).
  • Baylis, H. (1961 for 1960–1), Prebends in the cathedral church of SS. Mary and Chad in Lichfield, Transactions Lichfield Archaeological and Historical Society, 2, 38–52.
  • Beckett, J., Tranter, M., and Bateman, W., eds. (2003), Visitation returns from the Archdeaconry of Derby, 1718–1824 (Chesterfield: Derbyshire Record Society, 29).
  • Beresford, W. (n.d.), Diocesan Histories: Lichfield (SPCK Diocesan Histories, London: SPCK).
  • Cahill, M. (2001), The diocese of Coventry and Lichfield 1603–1642, (PhD dissertation, University of Warwick).
  • Clark, R. (1980), A good and sufficient maintenance: the augmentation of parish livings in Derbyshire 1645–1660, Derbyshire Archaeological Journal, 100, 69–78.
  • Clark, R. (1983), Why was the re-establishment of the Church of England possible? Derbyshire: a provincial perspective, Midland History, 8, 86–105.
  • Cooper, T. N. (1994), Oligarchy and conflict : Lichfield cathedral clergy in the early sixteenth century, Midland History, 19, 40–57.
  • Cooper, T. N. (1994), Children, the liturgy, and the reformation: the evidence of the Lichfield Cathedral choristers, Studies in Church History, 31, 261–74.
  • Coulton, B. (1996), The establishment of protestantism in a provincial town: a study of Shrewsbury in the sixteenth century, Sixteenth Century Journal, 27, 307–35.
  • Cox, J. C. (1875–9), Notes on the Churches of Derbyshire (4 vols., Chesterfield).
  • Docking, J. W. (1967), Victorian schools and scholars: Church of England elementary schools in nineteenth-century Coventry (Kenilworth).
  • Foster, A. (1976), The function of a bishop: the career of Richard Neile, 1562–1640, in O’Day, R. and Heal, F., eds, Continuity and change: personnel and administration of the Church of England 1500–1642 (Leicester), 33–54.
  • Godfrey, W. E. (1936 for 1935), A list of sketches of Derbyshire churches made 1816–1820 by the Rev. Guy Brian, rector of South Normanton, 1811–19, Journal of the Derbyshire Archaeological and Natural History Society, 56, 8–11.
  • Griffith, G. (1860), The free schools and endowments of Staffordshire, and their fulfilment (London: Whitaker and co.)
  • Horn, J. M. (2003), Fasti Ecclesiae Anglicanae 1541–1857. Volume X: Coventry and Lichfield Diocese (London: School of Advanced Studies).
  • Johnson, A. M. (1980), The Reformation clergy of Derbyshire 1536–1559, Derbyshire Archaeological Journal, 100, 49–63.
  • Johnson, D. (1995 for 1992–3), Dean Kimberley’s visitation of churches in Lichfield peculiar jurisdiction, 1714, Transactions of the Staffordshire Archaeological and Historical Society, 34, 35–41.
  • Kettle, A. J. and Johnson, D. A. (2001), A history of Lichfield cathedral (Staffordshire County Council; reprinted from VCH Staffordshire III [[1970]).
  • Landor, W. N. (1916 for 1915), Staffordshire incumbents and parochial records, 1530–1680 (Collections for a History of Staffordshire, William Salt Archaeol. Library).
  • Leonard, J. (1995), Staffordshire parish churches (Derby: Breedon).
  • Marr, P. (1980 for 1979–80), John Alcock (1715–1806), vicar choral and organist at Lichfield cathedral: a frustrated reformer, Transactions of the Staffordshire Archaeological and Historical Society, 21, 25–33.
  • Marston, F. (1971), The “Hate House”, Lichfield, Staffs., and the Rev. Dr. James Falconer, Transactions of the South Staffordshire Archaeological and Historical Society, 12, 49–53.
  • O’Day, R. (1972), Thomas Bentham: a case study in the problems of the early Elizabethan episcopate, Journal of Ecclesiastical History, 23, 137–59.
  • O’Day, R. (1975), Cumulative debt: the bishops of Coventry and Lichfield and their economic problems, Midland History, 3, 77–93.
  • O’Day, R. and Berlatsky, J., eds (1979), The letter-book of Thomas Bentham, bishop of Coventry and Lichfield, 1560–1561, in Camden miscellany, 27 (Camden, 4th ser., 22, London: RHS), 113–238.
  • The parishes and townships of Shropshire. A reference guide with maps (2004), (Shropshire Family History Society and Shropshire Archives: n.p.).
  • Peake, J. (1999), Ellesmere remembered: the reminiscences of half a century as curate and vicar of Ellesmere, ed. Christopher Jobson.
  • Peel, A., ed. (1911), A puritan survey of the church in Staffordshire in 1604, English Historical Review, 26, 338–52.
  • Robinson, D., ed. (1980), Visitations of the archdeaconry of Stafford, 1829–1841 (Collections for a History of Staffordshire, 4th ser., 10; Historical Manuscripts Commission, Joint Publications, 25).
  • Robinson, D. B. (1984 for 1982–3), Staffordshire clergy in 1830,Transactions of the Staffordshire Archaeological and Historical Society, 24, 84–98.
  • Salter, M. (1992), The old parish churches of Warwickshire (Malvern: Folly Publications).
  • Salter, M. (1996), The old parish churches of Staffordshire (2nd edn, Malvern: Folly Publications).
  • Salter, M. (1998), The old parish churches of Derbyshire (Malvern: Folly Publications).
  • Salter, M. (2001), The old parish churches of Shropshire (2nd edn, Malvern: Folly Publications).
  • Smith, A. (1976), Private schools and schoolmasters in the diocese of Lichfield and Coventry in the seventeenth century, History of Education, 5, 117–26.
  • Tringham, Nigel J. (1990), The cathedral and the close, in A history of the county of Stafford, 14: Lichfield, ed. M. W. Greenslade (Victoria County History, Oxford: Oxford University Press), 47–67.
  • Watkins-Pitchford, W. (1948), Mr Henry Dalton and the royal peculiar – an imbroglio of 1835, Transactions of the Shropshire Archaeological Society, 52:2, 155–61.

Footnotes

1.
About Bridgnorth. Back to context...